Q1 2020 Report - My Portfolio continues to go MooMoo

 


For those still using local banks as their broker with super high fees. Do consider trying out Moo Moo. They have a mobile app and Desktop version, pretty impressed with the functions so far, quick sign up, verification, allow margin (please use responsibly!).

Can use my Join Link to get more cashback and your free Apple Share -> Try Moomoo (I am actually not sure if they are still giving Apple share now)


OK! Ads over. Quarter 1 2021 just ended, and as mentioned  in my March 2021 Report despite the choppy ride in February and March, the US market is still on a strong uptrend. 

As usual, Quarterly report is where I compare the different investing strategies employed as part of my running experiment. If you are new here and have no idea what is what go and read my Different investing strategies.


TWR = Time Weighted Return

1. Portfolio (+10.4% YTD)

Good news my portfolio managed to stay on top, and survive the volatility in February and March where all the tech stocks started dropping. Portfolio is currently propped up by my value stocks while all profits from my Options account has been wiped out.

TWR of Portfolio

Value stocks strategy of buying undervalued stocks at good price whenever market retrace is working well so far. My value stocks is currently being dragged down by my CHina/ HK stocks. Especially  Alibaba who simply refuses to bounce back, but with a fair value of $300. I am still confident that BABA will eventually bounce back.


 Other than BABA, all the other Chinese/ HK stocks has been underperforming too as HK/China Market has been experiencing a correction. I've taken this opportunity to load up  more on HK stocks like Tencent, and HK ETFs.

 

2. SGX (Dividend Investing) (+8.0%)

SGX Portfolio coming in second is abit of a surprise. Still consisting of few select stocks (UOB, OCBC, Cromweil Reit, Capitaland China, and First Reit). This perform decently at +8% mainly due to the recovery of price of Singapore Banks which helps to cover the stupid mistake made with FIrst Reits (still at -50%).

 

4. ETF DCA (+3.0% YTD)

My Blind dollar cost averaging method underperformed this Quarter and fail to beat S&P500 . This is mainly due to the composition of my ETFs which is 50% in US index and 50% in HK/China ETF. While my US ETF is gaining, the ETF I picked (3169) has basically closed Negative YTD.


And to further piss me off, turns out Vanguard is closing off their HK operation and will be closing off their funds with 3169 being one of them. Apparently this was announced quite awhile back and I only recently find out when FSMone send me an email about this. The last trading day for Vanguard HK funds is mid May. Hence I will have to liquidate this and move the funds elsewhere.

 

5. ROBO (+2.5% YTD)

This Robo investing has been pretty disappointing this Quarter. I was actually planning to stop this and allocate the funds elsewhere, but seeing how my ETF DCA is getting similar return. I think I will let this run for another quarter. But I do feel Stashaway is underperforming, so will give Endowus a shot now.

6. ETF Portfolio (+1.22% YTD)

So as mentioned last quarter, I intended to start self-managing my ETF portfolio to try and time my entry point instead of doing simple dollar cost averaging. With the arrival of Moomoo as a cheap platform and being enticed by the free Apple share, I've decided to jump into Moomoo and use this platform for my ETF Portfolio. Currently at 1.22% after one month, will be closely monitoring this to see if I can catch up and beat the blind DCA method.

This portfolio will consist mainly of 4 different components:

  1. SPY - SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (US Large Caps)
  2. QQQ - Invesco QQQ Trust Series 1 (US Tech Focused)
  3. ASHR - Xtrackers Hvst CSI 300 China A-Shs ETF (China A-shares,  large caps)
  4. GXC - SPDR S&P China ETF (China/ HK Tech Focused)


CONCLUSION?

Ok that's it! This quarter I have managed to consistently outperformed all my other strategies, proofing once again that my knowledge and effort has not gone too waste. Well... Not really, I have conveniently omitted one other strategy that has been experiencing crazy growth despite me not doing anything. Apparently all I had to do with crypto is HODL

CRYPTOCURRENCY!? (+60%?)

As I messed around with my cryptocurrency account, tried trading some alt coins, and trying to settle for a proper platform. I kind of messed up my record keeping I think i am at around +60% YTD. 

I have since settled on Binance with their vast selection of crypto and the convenience of P2p for transaction.

My strategy have shifted slightly to just periodically buy Bitcoin and Ethereum. Although I am still quite wary of cryptocurrency, but I FOMO. So i will have a maximum allocation of 5%,  In case this turns out to be the 'FUTURE' as many cryptocurrency enthusiast seems to strongly believe.

This article by the woke salary man best sum up why it wouldn't hurt to have slight exposure to cryptocurrency ->

The reason why we won’t invest more than 5% in crypto

 


Final Conclusion

I won't be able to sleep peacefully if I dump all my investment into cryptocurrency, too volatile and  lack fundamentals.  So I still maintain that having a self-managed portfolio in the equity market is still the best way to go, at least for me. 

Being active in the stock market is not for everyone. Find your own preference and risk tolerance. What works for someone, may not necessarily works for another. Whatever investment you do, I think my report so far have clearly shown active investment is many times better than putting your money in the Bank, BUT invest with greed and lack of proper knowledge and you might just end up like this: Singaporeans who invested with crypto-trading platform Torque lose life savings


Torque was clearly a Ponzi scheme from the get-go (almost 10% return a month and zero risk?? Best part: return are paid in the form of their own self-created token, don't even need to fork out  actual money!). Remember , if it sounds too good to be true, it is probably a scam.



Remember Ferry is not a licensed financial advisor and he just recently managed to partially convince his wife to invest, so do you your own due diligence! Provided data are purely based on historical records and may not guarantee future results. Follow me at your own Risk! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Investing is NOT GAMBLING

Ferrying Sense to your Mind & $$ to your Pocket

How to make sure you can pay for your children's University Fees.